Clafflin has been recognized numerous times for her excellence in the classroom
You may recall that we’ve done a spotlight on Carol Clafflin in the past. And now there’s more good news. Clafflin was honored again for her excellence! Her most recent award was the Salter College Faculty of the Month award. To give you another chance to learn more about her, we conducted this interview:
1. How long have you been at Salter College?
I’ve been at here for just about 10 years.
2. What classes do you teach?
I have taught a pretty diverse grouping! This includes Medical Terminology, Anatomy & Physiology Lab, College Survival Skills, Pathology, Medical Office Procedures, Simulated Medical Office, Medical Insurance, Coding Classes, and Psychology.
3. What do you like about working at Salter College?
I love our students and watching them begin and then work through their challenges to come out the other side as stronger, educated, capable people. When they walk across the stage at graduation, it’s a huge celebration of their accomplishments and perseverance.
4. Where were you born?
I was born in Newton, MA.
5. Where did you go to school?
I did my undergrad at Springfield College in Springfield, MA. I studied Exercise Science and Psychology. I love the Springfield College philosophy of putting spirit, mind, and body into all you do.
6. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I always wanted to be a gym teacher. I was (and am) a sports fanatic. I loved the achievement and self-satisfaction as well as the teamwork and working toward improvement and bettering yourself—win or lose.
7. What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
Passionate, Caring, Persevere
8. What is your favorite restaurant?
Chopstix. We love the owners and now Celeste, a Salter Grad, is hostess there. We have celebrated every major event—birthdays, graduation, baby announcement in our family—at their restaurant. It’s just like home for us. Not to mention that they have great sushi and Chinese food!
9. If you could go on vacation anywhere in the world you’ve never been, where would you go?
I would like to experience Bora Bora or Belize's Big Blue Hole. To swim, float, and snorkel all day with the tropical fish and sea life is what I love.
10. What is your perfect Sunday?
Spending time with my family. Perhaps at the beach or just hanging out together.
11. What is on your bucket list?
To travel to Austria and Germany.
12. What is your favorite meal to make at home?
Thanksgiving dinner. It’s a whole family affair and lots of FUN!
13. What is your favorite movie you saw in the theater?
14. What’s your secret talent that nobody knows about?
I love crafts, like scrapbooking. I also like painting and photography.
15. What is your favorite thing about your career at Salter College?
I love the diversity each day and the challenge of educating others and helping them to find their passion and inner strength, confidence, and voice.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this faculty profile. Look out for future spotlight articles on other members of the Salter College community. And give Carol your congratulations the next time you see her!
If you or anyone you know would like to learn more about the career-focused training programs at Salter College—like medical assisting, culinary arts, or massage therapy—reach out and contact us online. We’d love to welcome you to our school!